Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Time Out For Women

In spite of the rude awakening back into real life Saturday evening, I had a great day. I spent the whole day with my girlfriends down in San Diego. We went down to the Time Out For Women women's conference. For those of you who don't know what that is it's a women's conference that is church affiliated and put on by Deseret Book. We met at my house at 5:30 SHARP (that was for you Pam) and began our trek down to San Diego. The whole way down was a blast. As soon as we began driving, the joke cracking began. And in between the jokes were serious conversations. To me, that's how you know you've got good/real friends -- you can talk about anything and not have to worry about what you say.

Once we got to the convention center we parked and tailgated with some bagels, cream cheese and oj (juice not Simpson -- hehe). We then headed into the convention center to be spiritually uplifted by excellent speakers and wonderful music. My favorite talks were by John Bytheway and Emily Watts.

John Bytheway was true to form. He was quick witted and full of energy. The main thing I got from him was this simple statement: The Savior saves our families we don't. Emily Watts talk was very similar in that her whole talk was about Free Agency. More specifically, our children are free agents and we don't get to control them. So, since these two talks were my favorites do you think I must have some control issues? Actually what I mostly got out of them was that I can't control my spouse not so much my children. He is in control of his own life not me. It wasn't a new concept it was just one that I needed to be reminded of and very hard to let happen.

Here we are eating lunch at a deli in the Seaport Village:

We got back into Simi around 7pm laughing all the way home. We ended our day at CPK and then went our seperate ways. I truly had a great day with my girlfriends. It was the best time out I've had in a long time. Until next time, Ladies......

4 comments:

Robyn Welcker said...

Jo I'm trying not to be jeliouse but I am it looks like you girls had such a blast, and learned something new I hope... I miss you cheeka talk to you soon ~ robyn

Pam said...

It was such a great time! Lets start planning the next one!

Kim said...

I agree with Pam. Which day was the one in July? Was it the 12th? :)

Liz Rose said...

Best "Time Out" I've ever been associated with. :) Next time, one of us needs to make sure you are in a picture!