Tuesday, May 6, 2008

There Was An Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe

Remember the nursery rhyme about the old woman who lived in the shoe? Well, let me refresh your memory:

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe
She had so many children she didn't know what to do!
So she gave them some broth without any bread
And whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed.
When I was a little girl I was quite disturbed by this. I pictured this crickety old woman with gray hair and worts on her face. She was permanantly bent over and just mean. As a mother of only two children I totally relate to this old woman. By the end of the day aren't you just done with your kids? Don't you just want to whip them all soundly and send them to bed? It doesn't mean we don't love our kids to death we're just tired and still have so much to do. Like tonight for instance. I've got a pile of laundry on the couch; the kitchen still has to be cleaned and the carpets need to be vacuumed. So after the kids' bath I tried to rush them into getting their jammies on and all they wanted to do was goof and play with each other. The NERVE! So I threatened my son with taking away ALL of his priviledges and Carly with the naughty spot if she didn't stop bugging her brother. It worked and I got them to bed quickly. However, I hate to admit, but I think I am the old woman who lives in a shoe!

5 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Oh well! We don't have magic or are practically perfect in every way like Mary Poppins. I bet the old women in the shoe wasn't always old and mean either.

Pam said...

You are too cute! I think of you more like the young woman who lives in a castle. She also whipped her children and sent them to bed. There is definitely a reason for bedtime, I have always told my children that after 9 pm Mom does not deal with them anymore. I am not a very nice person. We all have our limits.

McB's said...

too funny and we can all relate! and to top yours i only have ONE...that's sad :)

Robbie said...

Kaye would you like to comment or should I?

Robyn Welcker said...

That is hilariouse, Joe, Joe, Joe we both know that I love shoes... so that's no where close to a punishment for me.I think I live next to you in Nine West high heals, so really Andrew live in a tree house looking thing.... haha Your a wonderfull mom and your kids are so blessed to have you... even if you don't remeber that all the time, that's what I'm here for love you cheeka ~robyn