Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kids These Days

Every morning I have to pack a snack for Robert. And for the most part they have been pretty healthy snacks -- granola bars, apples, carrots, etc. But just for a treat I thought I'd pack him the last of the rice crispie treats I made yesterday. Thinking that he'd be thrilled, I gave it to him expecting joyous jubilations. Instead, I get this are-you-nuts???? look and a "What's this?"

With a big smile I say, "It's your snack!"

He says, "Ummm, could I get a HEALTHY snack?" I thought he was kidding and say, "Really?" in total disbelief. He said (get this), "Yes."

I was somewhat hurt but halfway laughing and said, "Go get a granola bar then you dork." And he happily did so.

How can this be my child????

And then Carly, who has always been my good eater and who always asks for a snack after our morning at the dog park, shocked me this morning too. As usual, I offered some yummy fruit, but she asked for (get this) tomatoes!!!

"Tomatoes???" I said.

"Uh huh," she says, "And could you put them in a circle on my plate please?" and then twirls and flits off to go wash her hands.

I'm standing there stunned by this request but completely laughing on the inside (because she is so darned cute) and then turn to honor her request -- tomatoes in a circle on her plate. How could I resist?

4 comments:

Lori said...

That is too cute (and funny). I'll always eat your Rice Krispy treats if no one else will.

Kim said...

That is hilarious! Cara liked to eat tomatoes plain also. I wonder if it's the color that Carly likes-girly all the way through, not just the skin. Too cute :)

Lovio Fam said...

What a good mom, you have trained them well! :) I love the "flits off to wash her hands" that is so Carly and I can totally picture it. I love little girls!

Jackie's Blog said...

omg!!! so funny.... haha that's so Rob though, he would say something so unexpected!! ahh i miss you guys so much... love you... hope to talk to you soon :D