Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake

I was on my way out the door when the earthquake hit this morning. I mean I was literally walking toward the door when all the sudden I hear dishes clanking and a strange rumbling sound. My initial thought was, "Is someone trying to get in through the garage?" But then I got that strange sensation one gets when the ground is moving underfoot. My kids were already in the car so I ran to the front door (Its a strange feeling when something like this happens and you're separated from your kids). I know this sounds wierd but when something like this happens I take a second to assess the situation, wait for direction and listen. I'm not actually waiting for someone to tell me what to do because I'm paralyzed stiff, but more like I'm waiting to see what I need to do next. So I'm at the front doorway I know the kids are fine. They're strapped in their carseats. There is no danger of any trees or telephone poles crashing down on them and I'm in the front doorway. So far so good. What seemed like a lifetime the quake ended and I lock up the house and get in the car. The car is still rocking when I get in and I ask the kids if they felt the car rock and Robert says, "Yeah." And I told him that it was rocking because we just had an earthquake. Robert is like "What????" and I tell him that we had an earthquake and that made the car rock. He didn't freak out or anything just said "Oh." And that was that. Carly was completely content not really understanding what just happened. And so I started up the car and headed out. I called Mike on the way to see if he had felt the quake. He hadn't. So we went on our merry way. I have to say that this was one of the bigger earthquakes I've been in. It was a little scary. However, in spite of all that, it was another great day at the beach!

1 comment:

McB's said...

That is the number one reason why I like AZ, no natural disasters. I so don't miss the earthquakes that sneak up on you now and then! I'm glad everyone is safe :)