Sunday, August 3, 2008

Another Great Beach Day

This past week was a little crazy. Mike was gone a lot, but we managed to stay busy and have fun in spite of his absence. Thursday we ended up at the beach by ourselves. Although, all our friends said they were going to come and meet us there, everyone fell through. But you know what? It was okay. The kids and I actually had a great day at the beach and it was the perfect beach day. The sun was out and warm. There was a slight breeze and not too crowded. We camped out at our usual Zuma 13 and for the first hour or so I kept an eye out for any familiar faces but then gave up and focused on my babies. We truly had a great day. There was one point when we were all building sand castles and I had one of those moments where you just want to freeze time -- you don't want it to end. I was watching Robert who was so intently building his crumbling sand castle trying to get the sand to stick together - not really getting upset, but just having fun and Carly looking for a seagull's feather to put on the top of our castle we built together and I just teared up. THIS is what life is about, I thought. After Carly found her seagull feather she stuck it into one of the towers and said "Now can I smash it, Mom?" I laughed a little and said, "No, Baby. I want to live in this castle one day." And she said, "But Mom. It's too little." I laughed out loud to that one. Too Cute!

After our sand castles Robert went out and rode the waves on his new boogie board. He was having so much fun and was catching some good waves that he didn't realize how far he had moved down the beach. I was getting a little worried about him since it was getting harder and harder to spot him so Carly and I took a little walk down the beach to round him up. Carly spotted him walking toward us and said, "There's Du, Mom." (she calls him "Du". That's short for Dude.) He was walking back up the beach and when he saw us he just broke down in tears. He was so relieved to see us he couldn't contain himself. My heart just melted. You know, I forget sometimes that he's only 5. He's got such an old soul and he's such a mature little guy that I forget that he's only 5. So for the first time in a long time I wrapped him up in his towel and held him on my lap. Ahhhhhh!!!!

So, thanks everyone for not showing up. It turned out to be one the best days we've had at the beach so far this summer! :)

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Aww, too cute. Sometimes it's the "quiet" days that make you appreciate your kids.

Hannah said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun! It must have been good to spend some good genuine family time. Sounds like a fun day! Love you!

Robyn Welcker said...

I love you I was there in spirit enjoying the rays with you....your such a good mom and a good example miss you chicka can't wait to share the beach with you again!
luvs
~robyn

Kaye said...

Jo, you have been tagged. Go to my blog to see what to do!

McB's said...

Hey Jo, you've been tagged by me so look at my blog but as I'm reading your comments it looks like Kaye did it already, dang it! Oh well I'll just read what you come up with :)