Sunday, August 17, 2008

Catching Up

Man! It's been too long since I've posted anything and the sad thing is that I've had plenty to post. So, I'm going to catch up some...


Robert had his big Kindergarten Dr's Appt the Wednesday before last. I prepped him on what to expect and bribed him with a new DS game. I know that may seem a little extravagant, but he tends to be quite dramatic when the shots hit so my intent with the bribery was to get him to not scream bloody murder when he got his shots. And it worked. He did try really hard not to scream and just cried big crocodile tears while I held his arm tightly in place. With that my heart went out to him, but when he screams bloody murder I just get utterly annoyed with him. So he got his game.


The next day we went to Newport Beach to spend the day with Robin and her baby boy, Andrew. As much as I love Newport Beach I can't stand the parking situation. It took us forever to find a parking place but it turned out to be worth the headache 'cuz we got the primo parking space. It only took us about 45 mins to get it but like I said, it was PRIMO -- well worth it. We stayed all day long. It was another perfect beach day -- warm and breezy. Robert was suffering from the aftermath of his shots the day before and slept most of the day. Thank goodness I had the sense enough to pack along some Tylenol for him so he could rest comfortably. He probably slept for 2-3 hours, but woke up rearing to go. I hadn't even noticed he woke up when I noticed him playing in the waves. What a trooper. Of course, it was wonderful visiting with Robyn. She is truly my little sister from a different mother. One of my favorite memories of the day was trying to figure out what was wrong with Andrew. He was acting so fussy which is unusual for him so I suggested setting him in the sand in his bumbo so he could play in the sand a little bit. So Robyn reluctantly did ('cuz she's not too fond of the sandiness). I kinda pushed sand around his feet and he seemed to be intrigued for about 2 seconds and then he squished up his little face and began screaming. It was so funny because he was sooooooo mad that he turned bright red and began shaking. Both Robyn and I sat there and stared at him and were like, "hmmm. I guess he didn't like that." I busted up laughing (I know. I'm so mean). Robyn picked him up and calmed him down. He fell asleep almost instantly (we figured that's why he was so fussy) and slept for about an hour. I'm sure the emotional outburst had something to do with that. Hehehe. While Andrew was sleeping I got up and played in the waves with Robert. Carly built sand casltes and played in the waves as much as she dared. We ended up leaving the beach around 6pm. It was a great day.



The following Saturday, Mike was home for a few hours before he had to leave again so we took the kids to Troutdale and went fishing. Oh man! That was soooo cute. There was my little girl in her white little skirt and pink and white onesie to match holding a fishing pole next to her daddy. And Robert, of course, couldn't sit still enough to catch a fish. I have to say that I was very impressed with my husband (who is probably the least patient person I know) sat there patiently enough to catch not just one fish but two. Not bad. Not bad at all. I have to say, though, that I was the one who pulled the hooks out of the fishs' mouth. The first one was the most disturbing as I had to tear the poor lip of the fish and caused it to bleed profusely as the poor fish was gaping for air. When I was a young girl that never used to bother me, but as an old woman it really bothered me. It bothered Robert a little too. He's got such a tender heart, my son. We ended up catching 3 huge fish and one tiny fish. Carly ended up being our bait girl. She said she didn't like fishing. At least she wasn't grossed out by it all. We had trout for dinner that night.









Sunday I had to teach the Relief Society lesson. It was not an easy lesson to teach. It was on consolation of death. It's hard to say how it went. Although, I did feel the spirit overcome me just before I got up to teach and I know it carried me through. Other than that though I wouldn't have known how it went due to the lack of support I recieved from my girls -- no one commented on anything and just left me hanging the whole entire lesson! Yeah.... thanks for that, girls. Hehehehe. Nah! I'm just kidding! It was a tough lesson even to make a comment.(apparently)

Tuesday, we went to the beach -- Zuma 13. I wasn't feeling quite myself, but had a great day with the girls anyway. Oh I should also mention that practically every night this week we've been watching the olympics. Robert is way into them. I've had to tivo them so he can watch them in the morning since they run so late. Later that evening, for some odd reason Carly wanted hot chocolate. Don't ask me why seeing how it was a hot day. But she insisted on hot chocolate. I think she just wanted to use her new princess mug we got at Disneyland. Nonetheless, we all had hot chocolate and used our new Disneyland mugs.

Wednesday, the kids got their haircuts. Robert's is definately an improvement. He was looking pretty shaggy. Carly's is hardly noticeable. I've decided to grow out her bangs so her's was just a trim. Nonetheless, I got a cute picture out of it.

I got to hike up to the cross all by myself with the 3 dogs tonight. It was so nice! I got to go at my own pace and really enjoy the fresh air. I left at dusk so the sun was setting over the hills. That just added to the perfectness of the break away. And since I got to go at my own pace I actually broke a sweat and mmmmm... did that feel good.

Mike hasn't been home a lot these days and I really miss him. I think that's why I've been out of sorts -- almost depressed. I've been just like mindlessly plugging along -- not really knowing what to do with myself. I know it won't be like this forever. I just miss him.... a lot.

So there you have it. My week (and a 1/2) in a nutshell. Oh yeah. One more thing. I've been tagged.....

2 comments:

Kim said...

Jo your lesson was great. I didn't comment becasue I had nothing good to say...I don't handle death all that great so I was just listenng. But good job! Who cleaned those fish? If you did I'm totally impressed. I won't even buy chicken unless its boneless-forget a fish that I saw alive!

Liz Rose said...

Great Posts Jo!!! Carly looks so grown up lately!! I wish I had bribed Sarah when she had her shots! Holy Cow--They had to bring in extra nurses to get her to hold still. It was pretty heart wrenching!
Can't believe Summer is almost gone.